Becoming a freshman in college is a big step, especially If you’re an African American female .
Freshman year is a start of your young adult life. Scared? Hell yeah I was scared just to go to summer orientation! But it was a little easier when move in day approached. I was still scared about my classes, along with other things that I know who ever reading this is nervous about but is scared to admit, and its okay because I’ve been there. Some were lucky to go to school with their friends I thought, and looking at it now I’m glad I didn’t because I wouldn’t be as close to them now. (I love all 5 of you)
My freshman year (2012-2013) was full of ups and downs a lot of memories were made some good , some not so good..
First semester was great I met a lot of people, I had a 3.0, I was enjoying myself, I voted for the first time, I was beginning to mature and towards the end I also THOUGHT I met the love of my life…now things do change. By second semester I was being bullied by some of the people who I thought were my friends. I was depressed and put all my time and energy into my boyfriend at the time because he was my only friend. I got into a fight and a week or two after that my grandfather passed away… I finished the semester and transferred.
Now you may think all of this is sad and it is…. but it has helped me grow! And May of 2016, a new chapter in my life will begin with one degree under my belt.
So to my freshman sister some of these things should help you:
- Stay on top of your stuff ( check emails daily)
- Get help if needed
- Talk to someone if you think life is outta control
- Talk to your loved ones as much as you can
- Be smart with everything you say or do
- Have plans, long term and short term goals.
- Make sure you have your own back
- Watch out for two-faced people, if they talk about people to you they will talk about you
- Stay away from Athletes and Greeks (not all are bad… but still…)
- Protect your reputation (people talk)
- Wear condoms!!!!!!!
- Be open minded
- Get involved within your school, find a club or something that interests you
- Don’t be a bully, you never know what people have going on back home or in general
- Wednesday’s & Friday’s in the café will make you gain weight fast.. its life
- Have as much fun as you possibly can , life will happen but you have to learn from it
- Graduate. (: